Charter Revisions - Issue 1
On November 8th, 2016 Blue Ash residents will have the opportunity to vote on Issue 1. Issue 1 represents several revisions to the City’s Charter which are aimed at improving operations while bringing the charter up-to-date and in line with other municipalities. Note: Issue 1 does not increase taxes.
On May 6, 2016 the Blue Ash Charter Revision Committee unanimously endorsed Council approval of the attached charter revisions. On May 26, 2016 City Council held an open house on this topic and approved the charter revisions via Ordinance 2016-37 on July 14, 2016.
The Issue 1 charter revisions are attached and summarized:
- Make elections non-partisan
- Create staggered Council terms
- Adjust Council terms from 2 to 4 years
- Reserve ordinances for legislation which becomes codified
- Remove Council representative from Planning Commission and replace with a resident
- Allow for alternate members for Board of Zoning Appeals/Board of Site Arrangement and Planning Commission
- Eliminate the need to read legislation aloud at Council meetings
- Allow for flexibility in publication requirements